UGC NET Eligibility: NTA has laid out a defined and detailed eligibility criteria for UGC NET Exam. With the introduction of National Testing Agency or NTA as the new regulating body of the national level exam, no changes have been introduced in the eligibility standards. The following article informs the educational qualification, number of attempts, age limit and other such details in order to register for the national level exam.
Latest: The next session of NET exam is scheduled from June 20, 2019 – June 28, 2019 in CBT mode. As per the official notification, NTA has made few modifications in the syllabus for the exam. Check updated UGC NET Syllabus
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria #Facts
- He/ she must not be more than 28 years as on January 1, 2019 for applying for Junior Research Fellowship.
- A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided for candidates belonging to reserved categories
- Ph.D. degree holders will be given relaxation of 5% aggregate marks if they have completed a master’s degree before September 19, 1992 for appearing in UGC NET.
UGC NET 2019 Eligibility: Academic Qualification
For candidates who wish to appear for NET 2019 conducted by NTA must clear all the defined standards. Given below is the eligibility criteria to appear for NTA UGC NET 2019:
- Candidates must have scored at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ST, OBC- NCL, PwD) in Master’s Degree or equivalent examination from university recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science and others to be eligible for UGC NET 2019.
- Candidates who are presently in the final year of their Master’s program or those who are waiting for their final year results can appear for UGC NET 2019 exam.
- Such candidates will be admitted provisionally and will be considered eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship or eligible for Assistant professor post, only after their result is declared and they have secured at least 55% aggregate marks (50% for OBC (Non- creamy layer)/SC/ST/PwD category) in Master’s Program.
- Ph.D. degree holders will be eligible to appear for NET examination if they have completed their Master’s Degree by September 19, 1991. Such candidates will be given a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks.
- It is advisable for candidates to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. If your post- graduate subject is not on the list, you can opt for related subject.
- Candidates must not send any certificates or documents along with the application form to NTA.
- If any candidate is found to be ineligible, his/her candidature will be cancelled. Such candidates will be liable for legal action.
- Candidates belonging to the transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/ PwD categories. The subject wise cut-off for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
Check UGC NET Exam Pattern
UGC NET 2019 Age Limit and Relaxation
UGC NET 2019 Age Limit and Relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor are given below:
Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
- Candidate must not be more than 28 years of age as on January 1, 2019.
- The age relaxation of up to 5 years is provided to the candidates belonging to reserved categories (SC/ST, OBC- NCL, and PwD) and also to women applicants.
- Candidates with research experience in relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree will get a maximum of 5 years age relaxation. They need to produce a certificate regarding the same from appropriate authority.
- Three years of relaxation in age will be permissible to candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree.
- No upper age limit has been declared by UGC to apply for Assistant Professorship.
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- A candidate will be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions, if they successfully clear NET/SLET/SET exam.
- Candidates who have been awarded a PhD Degree by UGC will be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SELT/SET for appointment as Assistant Professor in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- Candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 will also be exempted from appearing in NTA UGC NET 2019.
- Candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor prior to June 1, 2002, will be exempted from appearing in NET.
Practice with Free UGC NET Practice Papers
UGC NET 2019 Eligibility: Category-Wise
For General Category
Following is the General category eligibility who fulfill the UGC NET exam:
- 55% aggregate in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree.
- Candidates applying for the Junior Research Fellowship must not be more than 30 years.
- There will be no upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- The age relaxation is also provisioned for the candidates with experience of research (provided they have to obtain a certificate of the same to get the relaxation).
- The categorical relaxation in age will be allowed on the ground of producing a relevant certificate.
- The candidates will not get any age relaxation of more than 5 years either through one or multiple clauses.
- The certificates which will be considered as the proof of age are 10th standard marksheet or passing certificate and Date of Birth certificate.
For ST/SC/OBC/ PWD Category
Following is the ST/SC/OBC/ PWD category eligibility:
- Candidates’ must have at least 50% aggregate in the Master’s program.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level exam has been completed by September 19, 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks i.e. from 55% to 50% for appearing in NET.
- A final year student of Master’s Degree or passed out student whose result is still awaited is also eligible for UGC NET Exam.
- However, such students will only be considered for the Award of Junior Research Fellowship or Assistant Professorship if they will finally pass in Master’s Degree having required percentage criteria.
UGC NET 2019 Eligibility FAQs
Ques. What is the minimum qualification for appearing in UGC NET 2019 for candidates of unreserved category?
Ans: Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master‟s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/ institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this exam.
Ques. Those candidates who have completed their Graduation but waiting for their final Year result, are they eligible for UGC NET 2019?
Ques. Candidates who have done a Master’s degree, are they eligible for UGC NET 2019 in any subject?
Ans: No, Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only.