XAT Preparation Tips: The management exam is the second most sought after exam after CAT among management aspiring candidates. So what makes XAT so special, it is its colleges and their ROI. And when it comes to the HR course XLRI is the best amongst all. So the main question arrives in a candidate’s mind is how to prepare and give the exam. Like all management exams, there are two stages of XAT viz.
- Main exam: Computer-based test
- Group Discussion and Personal Interview (GDPI) rounds for final selection Check XAT Cut off
XAT 2020 is tentatively scheduled for January 5, the first Sunday of January, in a single session. So to need to start
A brief about the XAT 2019 exam pattern is given below:
|SECTION NAME||MAXIMUM QUESTIONS|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation||27|
CheckXAT Exam Pattern
Section-wise Preparation Tips
So the thing comes how to prepare for each section. Let’s talk about Quant and Data Interpretation part first. It is the main part as maximum number of questions come from this section.
- Basic part is numerical ability which is based on formulas only.
- Quant covers basic mathematics topics like LCM-HCF, Simple and Compound Interest, functions, Number System, Speed Distance Time, Geometry, Mensuration, Averages, Permutation & Combination, etc.
So for this, you have to follow this strategy:
- Clarify all your basic concepts
- Learn shortcuts
- Try to under the main purpose of that concept
- Give mock test after every topic
- Manage the time
Data Interpretation is that part where observation skills play an important role.
- In this section, questions are asked in the form of charts and graph.
- The most important thing for this particular section is that you have to spend more time in practising and less time during exam.
Tips for DI section:
- Improve the method of calculation
- Solve different graphs
Check detailed information and Tips for QADI –Click here
Tips for this section:
Reading Comprehension– Try to get the overview of the passage, every section of the passage is related to the other, so try to develop a sense of understanding. While reading and answering the passage, maintain the speed. Sometimes it is easy for the person to read the question first and then try to give the answer from reading the particular section of that passage.
- For this, try to develop the habit of reading newspapers first. Then try to evaluate the idea of the passage that what can be asked from that passage.
- Second, try as many sample passages as possible for the purpose of time management.
Vocabulary – Increase your vocabulary part as this will not only help you in giving answers to the questions during the exam but also help in improving your communicating and understanding skills.
Try to find out the words and their meanings on a regular basis. After finding the meaning use them.
Jumbled Words– For this section try to find out the connectors first then try to link them according to the paragraph. Solve as many examples as possible.Get complete preparation tips for Verbal ability – Click Here
Now let’s talk about Decision-making section. It is the most differentiating factor of XAT which makes it special from other exams. Every manager must possess decision-making ability. And XAT test this ability in the candidates whether they have that intent to be at the managerial level or not.
- There are almost 20 questions in XAT about from Decision Making ability.
- And for this section candidate must have approach of understanding the situation of the paragraph.
- Candidate must read and analyse the information.
- Candidates while solving such type of questions are advised to go with the most ethical answer.
For complete Decision Making Preparation Strategy Click Here
Last part of section 1 i.e. Logical Reasoning. For doing preparation under this section, the candidate is required to go up the latter step by step. They need to understand their weak and strong areas and make a plan, accordingly.
Strategies to improve Logical Reasoning:
Keep practising as many questions as you can. Practice will help you a lot in managing time for different types of questions. You will be able to identify what type of questions need how much time.
Classify your problem on time span & complexity level & devote time according to requirement.
Do not solve questions in a different way every time you are attempting it. Just maintain your own method & stick to that only otherwise you will be confused at the time of the exam, as to which method you should opt at that time.
- Make Notes:
When you start preparing, make note of those problems which create an issue when you have been solving them.For complete Preparation tips for logical reasoning for XAT Click Here
Next Section is of General Knowledge. This section consists of 25- 30 questions in XAT exam. Candidates preparing for XAT general knowledge must read the newspapers daily. There are some current affair books available in the market which the candidate can grab and read.
We also have interviewed various toppers who cracked XAT and secured admission in Top Management colleges in India.
Keep practising and form your own plan says Abhishake Koul
He got 98.4 percentile in XAT 2015 and he says that you have to practice RC, Quant and Decision Making. He says that candidate must give mock papers regularly. He had practised a lot on his weak areas by making handouts and giving tests.
Knowledge is treasure but practice is the key to it says Priyajeev Kumar
Priyajeev scored 99.82 percentile marks in XAT 2013. He says, “practice is the only way to improve your accuracy as the syllabus of MBA entrance exam is quite of elementary level. He advises to the aspirants of XAT to give mock tests as it gives confidence and helps in preparing well for the exam”.
Be your own motivator says Harish Sankar
Harish Sankar appeared for XAT 2011 and scored 74.5 percentile marks. He says, it is very difficult to manage and give quality time to preparation if you’re doing a job simultaneously. But only magic can help you pass the exam without any preparation. He advises the candidates to motivate themselves as there is no bigger motivator other than you. So, be a self-motivator.