XAT Syllabus: XLRI Jamshedpur does not release an official syllabus for XAT. However, on the basis of previous year’s question papers and analysis, we have curated below the most important topics for this year’s Xavier Aptitude Test.
- The management exam for the year 2020 is scheduled for January 5 (tentatively) in a single session (10am – 1pm).
- XAT 2020 is conducted in CBT mode, having the objective and subjective type of questions. Download Free XAT Practice Papers
- As per the last year, registration concluded on November 30, candidates will be issued their XAT Admit Card from December 20.
Highlights of XAT Exam Pattern (Revised)
|Exam Mode||Online (CBT)|
|No. of Sections||4|
|Total Questions||100 questions|
|Medium of Exam||English only|
|Marking Scheme||There is a choice of not attempting 8 questions. Beyond this, any un-attempted question 0.05 mark will be deducted.|
Read detailedXAT Exam Pattern
The following article covers all the topics under all the sections in XAT. Read on to know more about XAT syllabus, preparation books and important topics.
Highlights of XAT Syllabus
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (QA & DI): There are 15 topics of 27 marks. The difficulty level of this section is always high. An accuracy of 70% is considered good.
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Verbal & Logical Ability (VA & LR): There are 7 important topics and the section can have moderate-high level questions. About 26 questions are expected this year.
- XAT Syllabus 2020 for Decision Making (DM): 22 questions are expected from this section.
- XAT 2020 GK Syllabus: The section always has a moderate difficulty level as questions.
|CMAT Syllabus||MAT Syllabus||XAT Cut off|
XAT Syllabus: Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QA & DI)
- XLRI has brought significant changes in this section. Numbers, Geometry and Mensuration questions have become more prominent and around 50% of the Quant questions are based on these areas.
- Arithmetic, Venn diagrams, functions are other favourite topics on which questions are formed in XAT.
- There are 27 questions asked from this section and we suggest you take 2 minutes and 17 seconds to solve each question.
- QA and DI section is considered to be of the highest difficulty level.
Note: There is no percentage defined between the numbers of questions asked in the QA & DI section.
Important topics for Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
|Important topics for Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation|
|Geometry||Mensuration – 2D and 3D|
|Profit and Loss||Speed & Distance|
|Arithmetic||Heights & Distance|
|Direction Sense & Time||Clocks|
|Data Interpretation – Table, Combination||–|
XAT Preparation Books for QA/ DI
|Book name||Publisher / Author|
|Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Nitish K. Sinha|
|PSC for VA for CAT||Nitish K. Sinha|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Nitish K. Sinha|
|CAT 2017 Quantitative Aptitude||Gautam Puri|
|Wiley’s ExamXpert XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)||Wiley India (Author)|
|Jabbing the XAT Mock Tests & Solved Papers||R K Jha|
XAT Syllabus: Verbal and Logical Ability (VA & LR)
- 26 questions of objective type are expected to come from this section.
- Approximately 56 minutes are required to complete this section.
- The section can have moderate to high difficulty level questions.
Important topics for VA and LR in XAT
|Important topics for VA and LR in XAT|
|Critical Reasoning||Reading Comprehension|
XAT Preparation Books for VA/ LR
|Book name||Publisher/ Author|
|Study Notes Material On XAT Paperback – 2016||Sourav sir’s classes|
|Verbal Ability Comprehension for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT/ CMAT/ MAT/ Bank PO/ SSC 2nd Edition||Bharta Patodi and Aditya Choudhary|
XAT Syllabus: Decision Making (DM)
- There are 22 questions expected from this section.
- Set based questions are asked.
- The difficulty level of DM section is moderate to tough.
Important topics in XAT Decision Making (DM)
|Important topics in XAT Decision Making|
|Situational||Conditions and Grouping Test|
|Data Arrangement Test||Reading Comprehension|
|Case lets||Decision Making in a situation|
XAT Preparation Books for DM
|XAT 2016 Decision Making Online Coaching by Ravi Handa (Voucher)||Online book|
|Target XAT 2017 (Past Papers 2005 – 2016 + 5 Mock Tests)||Disha Experts|
XAT Syllabus: General Knowledge (GK)
- 25 questions will be asked in total.
- You can spend 20 minutes to complete this section.
- The difficulty level is moderate as no brainstorming is needed.
- Most questions are on current affairs and some on GK.
- 60:40 breakup is defined for GK and Current Affairs.
Important topics in GK
|Important topics for GK in XAT|
|Politics||Nation and States|
|Sports||Awards and Recognitions|
|Merger & Acquisitions||—|
XAT Preparation Books for GK
|Objective General Knowledge||Lucent’s|
How to Crack XAT 2020?
XAT 2020 is set to be conducted on January 05, 2020 by XLRI. Its scores are accepted by more than 100 XAT Colleges in India. Also, due to its popularity, the difficulty level of the exam is getting higher with time. Also, as XAT Syllabus has no defined boundary, candidates appearing for it are suggested to practice as many sample papers and previous years question papers as possible. Listed below are major takeaways for XAT Preparations:
- Before starting the preparations, it is advised to go through all the previous years papers to get an idea about all the questions asked in the exam. Doing this will help a candidate to know about the level of questions that are asked from XAT Syllabus.
- Candidates must make sure to give equal importance to all the sections in order to fetch maximum marks to clear the sectional cut-off set by the conducting authority.
- As the level of exam is difficult, so managing the time in an efficient way will prove to be an asset.
- For GK section, it is important to keep oneself updated with both static and current happenings around the world. As per the trends, knowing about the past 6 months news will be sufficient for XAT preparation for this section.
Read XAT 2020: 7 Tips to Gear up your XAT 2020 Preparation
XAT Syllabus FAQs
Ques. Is calculator allowed in XAT exam?
Ans. Any type of electronic media is not allowed in the exam center.
Ques. If I apply for a 100-day study plan, what are my chances of getting selected in XAT 2020?
Ans. Well, a 100-day study plan, if followed precisely, will ensure that your study would be completed within time. But your dedication and commitment will make all the difference.
Ques. Can you give me a list of all the topics that are added to XAT 2020 syllabus over XAT 2018 syllabus?
Ans. Well, there are no additions that are officially announced in the XAT 2020 syllabus.
Ques. I have heard that switching between the sections is not allowed in the XAT online test. Is it true?
Ans. No, there is no such boundation on switching between the sections in the XAT 2020 exam. Still, it would be best for you that you complete 1 section and then move on to the next section.
Ques. I want to do some online preparation for the XAT syllabus. Can you give me the name of some of the websites that I can work with?
Ans. Sure, you can work with PaGalGuy, money control, test find, cracku, career launcher and Handa Ka Funda. Also, along with the preparation of other management entrance exams, preparation for XAT can be done.
We hope this article was helpful during your XAT Preparation. Once you are thorough with the exam pattern and syllabus, the preparation journey becomes a smooth-sail. We wish you luck for the exam!