AFCAT Exam Pattern: Indian Air Force (IAF) will carry out AFCAT and EKT in a computer-based mode. The questions will be displayed in a random sequence on the computer screen.
- The syllabus for AFCAT will be based on graduation level (Indian University).
- The examination is scheduled for either February 16 or February 17.
- Interested candidates can apply online at afcat.cdac.in before December 30. Register Now!
AFCAT is an entrance test for the aspirants who want to join Indian Air Force as Commissioned Officer in Flying, Ground Duty (Technical) and Ground Duty (Non-Technical). Indian citizens, having minimum 60% marks in Physics and Mathematics each in 10+2 are eligible to register for the Air Force examination.
AFCAT Exam Pattern #Facts
- The question paper will be available in English language only.
- Duration of the exam will be of 2 hours (120 minutes).
- The total number of questions asked in the exam will be 100.
- Correct answer: +3 marks and Incorrect answer: – 1 mark.
- No marks will be deducted for un-attempted questions.
AFCAT 2019 Exam Schedule
Note: Candidates will not be permitted to enter the exam centre, under any circumstance, after the pre-exam verification process has commenced at 08:00 hrs for shift-I and 1230 hrs for shift 2.
AFCAT and EKT Exam Pattern in Detail
The paper pattern for both the papers in terms of exam mode, type of questions and marking scheme is similar. Read on to get a clear idea about the same:
About AFCAT Exam Pattern:
- AFCAT 2019 is an online test, conducted in two shifts in english language.
- It will consist of 100 objective questions to be solved within a duration of 120 minutes.
- The maximum marks an aspirant can score in AFCAT 2019 are 300.
About EKT Exam Pattern:
- EKT or Engineering Knowledge Test is a meant to test candidate’s engineering knowledge.
- The test is compulsory for candidates applying for Technical Ground Duty branch.
- EKT 2019 is an online test, conducted in two shifts in english language.
Download FreeAFCAT Sample Papers
|Exam||AFCAT||EKT (only for technical)|
|Mode of Exam||Online i.e. computer based||Online i.e. computer based|
|No. of Questions||100||50|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours (120 minutes)||45 minutes|
|Sections in Paper||General Awareness, Verbal Ability in English, Numerical Ability and Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test||Mechanical, Computer Science and Electrical & Electronics|
|Negative Marking||1 mark||1 mark|
Check EKT Syllabus and Books
AFCAT Standard and Syllabus
AFCAT Exam Pattern: General Awareness
- The section is designed to test the general knowledge of the applicant.
- It will have questions to test aspirant’s awareness of ongoing, current events in various fields around the world.
- Generally, about 20 questions are asked in this section.
The main topics along for this section are given below:
- Art and Culture
- International Current Affairs
- Basic Science
AFCAT Exam Pattern: Verbal Ability in English
- As the name of the section suggests, this segment will assess the student’s knowledge, proficiency and comprehension in English language.
- The total number of questions asked from this section will be approximately 30.
The important topics for this section are:
- Fill in the blanks by choosing the appropriate word
- Error Detection
- Sentence Completion
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Testing of Vocabulary
- Basic Grammar
AFCAT Exam Pattern: Quantitative Ability
- This section will test the basic mathematical ability of participants.
- Around 15 questions will be asked from this section.
- It is considered to be a relatively scoring section though the level of difficulty for this section is moderate to high.
The important topics for this section are as follows:
- Decimal Fraction
- Ratio and Proportion
- Simple interest
- Profit and loss
AFCAT Exam Pattern: Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test
- This section is the most important segment as maximum questions are asked in this section.
- Candidate’s mental and military aptitude is tested.
- The difficulty level is moderate and approximately 35 questions are asked from this section.
The important topics are listed below:
- Verbal Skills and Spatial Ability
- Data interpretation
- Embedded Figure
- Missing Character
- Sets based on arrangements
- Rotated blocks
- Hidden figures
The following table represents the approximate number of questions asked from each section:
|General Awareness||20||60||2 hours|
|Verbal Ability in English||30||90|
|Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test||35||105|
AFCAT Marking Scheme
There has been no change in the marking scheme of AFCAT 2019. The marking scheme is given as follows:
- Three marks will be awarded for every correct answer.
- One mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
- No marks for unattempted questions.
AFCAT 2019 Reference Books
AFCAT 2019 Reference Books are given below to help students score well:
|Name of Book||Author/ Publisher|
|AFCAT Exam Guide 1st edition for Flying and Technical Branch||Ramesh Publishing House|
|AFCAT Solved Paper 2017||Arihant Publication|
|General Knowledge 2017||Arihant Publication|
|Quantitative aptitude for Competitive Examinations||R S Aggarwal|
|A modern approach to Verbal Reasoning||R S Aggarwal|