- IELTS, also known as the International English Language Testing System is one of the most known and globally recognized test systems.
- Administered by – University of Cambridge ESOL Exams, The British Council, IDP Education Australia, IELTS Australia
- IELTS is specifically related to the study of the English language
- It has 2 types- IELTS academic (taken mostly by students) and IELTS General (by others)
- The testing system helps determine the speaking, writing, reading and listening skills of the candidates.
- It is a paper-based test that is conducted multiple times in a year.
- The total duration of the test is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Must for non-native English speakers who wish to work, study or migrate to any English speaking country
It is important to get admission, to work or to get migrate to the UK, USA, Australia or Canada.
Officially, No Eligibility Conditions are required for taking the test. However, it is mostly taken by the students, international workers or persons who wish to migrate.
Structure of Test
|Sections||No. of Questions and Content||Minutes|
|Listening(4 sections)||Each section carries 20 questionsEach section includes a mix of reading comprehension question, text completion, and sentence equivalence questions.||10 minutes(each(40 minutes in total)|
|General/Academic Reading||Three reading passages for each.Each contains factual texts. However, Academic reading has graphs and figures, whereas general is based on discussion.||20 minutes each(60 minutes in total)|
|General/Academic Writing(2 sections)||Writing paragraphs of 150 and 250 words.In academic writing, graphs or diagrams have to be explained for the 150 words paragraph. Whereas, the general paragraph of 150 words is based on letter writing.For the 250 words paragraph, an short essay is required in both modules.||30 minutes each(60 minutes in total)|
|Speaking||An interview session consisting of short questions and general topics of discussion.||11 to 14 minutes|
Note: There are no breaks between the listening, writing and reading sections of the test.
Candidates are given 2 hours 45 minutes to complete the exam
IELTS fee is £ 183.72 worldwide.
For Indian students, exam fee is INR 10,600 up to 31 March 2016 and is INR 11,100 afterwards.
For listening, reading, writing and speaking sections, candidates are scored from 1- 9 bands.The overall band score is the average of four.
IELTS preparation is offered by a number of institutes in Chandigarh. However, it is important that a little research is done before finalizing the best choice. Reputed IELTS institutes know all the important tips and tricks to crack the exam. So go for the best.
Tips to clear IELTS Exam and score 7+ Bands